I rec’d two of the coolest cookbooks, ever, for Christmas – a compilation of gluten-free recipes from my Man (who stole them from his radical Sister!) and a book of raw goodness from my radical Bro. It’s inspiring to me that food changes lives; it saves lives and creates memories. #ilovethat I also love that we get our organic groceries delivered to our door every Wednesday morning at the Corker Cabin. Last week they delivered a sweet recipe for Raw Carrot Cake. I made it that night, with a few Corker tweaks. I thought it was worth sharing because you a) can make it easily tonight too b) it’s healthy goodness and c) it’s delicious. #nuffsaid
1. Soak 2/3c pecans in warm water.
2. Add: 1/3c dates and 1/2c OJ (or substitute an orange like i did!) into your vitamix or food processor and blend until a smooth paste forms.
3. Grate: 1c carrots. Combine with date paste.
4. Add to carrot/date paste: sprinkle of nutmeg/cinnamon/ ginger (or use freshly grated!), 1/3c dried coconut, 2/3c chopped pecans, handful of raisins.
5. Squish together well; smoosh into a lined baking dish.
Cashew Cream Frosting
1. Soak 1c cashews in warm water for 20min; drain.
2. Add 2-3 dates, splash of vanilla + soaked cashews to vitamix.
3. Blend until smooth paste. Frost carrot cake generously. (Any extras will keep really nicely in a sealed jar in the fridge – great with berries for breakfast!)
Let cake sit overnight. #bepatient (We tried to eat it right away and it is worth.the.wait for the next morning.)
So between those rad Christmas cookbooks and SPUD-secret-recipe deliveries, I will without question be making many food appearances on this blog in 2013. I’m learning that life as an athlete is as much about what we eat as it is how we sweat. #caloriesforkilometers,baby!